Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Best Book to Learn Catalan for New Beginners



Passos 1 - Passos 1 Nivell Bàsic: Llibre de classe. (Octaedro Ed.).

So, we've been here for 9 months now, and I still haven't really come far in my Catalan. I'm struggling with everything.

However, one good thing occurred since the last time I wrote about my Catalan classes.   I quit.

Yes, I had a big argument with my partner Albert (who is Catalan to the bones) and I quit my classes.  I asked the school if I could go back to another class. The level was too difficult. I couldn't understand anything. After several weeks, we were called up with a new class.

The text book I'm using is fantastic for learners of Catalan who do not speak Spanish. (that's my category) There is a lot of repetition and it goes easy on the verbs. Perfect.

I have taught English in Japan, Norway and here in Spain, and I'm always on the look out for excellent language books. This one is highly recommended and the best of the four I've seen before.

Wish me good luck!

Oh! and this year, our resolution was to speak Catalan at home on Mondays through to Thursdays. I think its going to make a big difference for us.

Photo: Tiffany Jones

6 comments:

CandoKen said...

Hi Tiffany - good article - I agree with you and the classes. They are really set up for Castillian speaking people to learn Catalan. Makes it difficult when most of the class are collaborating in Castillian when they should be talking Catalan. I am about the same time as yourself in Catalunya and have also ditched the classes. Will try to find another way. If you find a good school or class could you post it please- I'm looking for one - I'm in Cardedeu or Granollers.
You probably have it, but the Larousse Dictionary is very handy - while the Routledge is bigger - it's not necessarily much better comprehensive. I end up using google translate a good bit. Luckily I dont have to work here (can work on-line). Anyhoo best of luck with the language.

Tiffany at Patheya said...

Hello CandoKen!

Yes, the first book I was using went way too fast for me. Once we hit the verbs, I drowned.

I'm happy to repeat B2 - I picked up a flyer today saying that the matriculation for September starts on the 16th of June.

I'll post the information. Thanks for the comment - we have to meet for coffee and complaints! :D

Thanks for the dictionary tip. I'm using an old one from my partner's school days - and am on the look out for a good one.

CandoKen said...

Jeany - quick reply!
Yes good idea on meeting for coffey.
I remember when I used to live abroad before, I used to meet up with other foreigners and just have a good rant about the culture. It's therapeutic. Though really, I don't have much to complain about - my girlfriend has made being here so easy and the people are lovely (she's Catalan and her family are lovely). But and it's a big but, I don't have to work here. Working in a new culture is very difficult (from my experiences anyway). I don't want to slap my mobile number up here - but my email is oguy [at] dublin [dot] com - if u email me I'll send you on my mobile.

Tiffany at Patheya said...

done! and if you don't get it for some typo - Tiffany at Patheya dot com. :)

Study English said...

This is really useful, thanks! I also think it's really cool to see so much enthusiasm for learning Catalan, which is a beautiful language and really worth exploring.

Monica V : )

Allan Chin said...

Thanks for your find, and I'll be looking into buying these for myself! I've studied numerous languages over the years and also teach and tutor English in NYC, and I've always preferred language materials published in-country and geared towards immigrants to and second language learners in that country, rather than the mass-market types of materials that are more easily found at regular bookstores domestically. "Native" materials are more expensive when you include the textbooks, workbooks, and other associated materials, but I find them much more systematic and building you from the ground up to some sort of standard, like a CEFR level, instead of plunging you into some arbitrary story or soap opera with higher-level sentences that you might not ever use... :-)